Young Rider Program
What Is Young Riders?
It is a program offered through USEA for riders 21 and under to encourage younger members of all levels to become involved in the sport of Eventing. Through Young Riders, you will have the opportunity to participate in training with Olympic riders, compete as a representative of the Area, and develop life-long friends and commitment to the sport.
When you join the Area III Young Riders program you receive:
- Opportunity to attend Young Rider Camp June 17-21, 2018 held at Chattahoochee Hills. We have group and private lessons for 5 days. We also offer activities throughout the day and night.
- Young Rider Clinics: We will be offering 2 this year in the spring and fall
- $100 discount off Camp fees for being a member
- Free course walks at selected events with upper level riders
- Complimentary Young Rider Sticker
- Opportunity to represent Area III at the North American Junior Young Riders Championships (NAJYRC) July 2018
- Grooming opportunity at the North American Junior Young Riders Championships July 2018
- Opportunity to represent Area III at Hagyard Midsouth Three-day Event & Team Challenge H.T. Event in KY Oct 17-21, 2018
- Low Score Awards at participating events
- Attend Socials at Low Score Events. Will be offering a social event (e.g. pizza party) at Low Score Awards Events for members.
- Volunteer Incentive Program for 2018 each member is asked to volunteer a minimum of 3 hours. Volunteer hours can be at young rider events or volunteering for venues. For each hour you volunteer your name will be entered into a drawing for a $250 camp credit for 2019. Four names will be drawn.
- Shadow officials/Mentoring Program
- Young Rider T-shirt design contest
Linked below are the selection procedures for the 2018 North American Junior Championship, CICOY Nations Cup, and additional Area III Selection Procedures.
As an FEI athlete you are subject to Clean Sport anti-doping regulations for both your horses and yourself as an athlete. You and your horses are very likely to be tested. It is your responsibility to ensure you follow these regulations and a guide can be found at https://www.usef.org/team-usa/sport-excellence-education/clean-sport
Young Rider Camp 2018
Area III Young Rider Summer Camp is just around the corner. We have another great year planned for Camp at Chattahoochee Hills, Fairburn, GA on June 17-21, 2018. As in the past years, our campers will ride four full days. Riders will have a private 35 min. dressage lesson on day one, 1hr 30min group flat and show jumping on days two and three and 2hr group cross-country lesson on day four. We had a record number of 87 campers last year and we are expecting the same number for this year. We will have fun activities for the times the campers are not on their horses with games and equestrian instruction.
We are excited to announce that our potential 2018 North American Junior and Young Rider Championship team members will be attending camp. They will be riding and/or volunteering their time.
You will be able to put your great training to a test if you choose to stay for the Chattahoochee Hills Dressage Show June 23-24, 2018. Forms will be available online at: http://chatthillseventing.com/calendar/. All entries and stabling for the dressage show will be handled by Chattahoochee Hills. Please make a note on your entry you are with the Young Riders Camp.
**Update for 2018**
We have updated our payment and forms deadline. With an increase in numbers and for preplanning purposes please secure your spot this year by completing your registration and sending a $200 deposit by April 1, 2018. Additional $200 deposit will be due May 1, 2018 and Final payments are due by June 1, 2018. Hookups are secured by a deposit only.
We will be requiring that all riders show proof they have completed a minimum of one 3-phase event at the level they wish to ride in at camp. This can be a horse trial or schooling show. This will ensure we have every rider in the appropriate group.
Dates to Remember:
Due April 1 Registration $200 deposit
Due May 1 $200 additional deposit
Due June1 Remaining Balance
All the necessary forms are linked below. If you have any questions contact Allina Bell, Young Riders Coordinator, email@example.com.
Haygard Midsouth Team Challenge 2018
Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge is a destination event located at the Kentucky Horse Park October 17-21, 2018. It is a unique competition environment that attracts competitors from the Midwest as well as the East Coast. Riders compete as a team as well as individuals. Each rider from a team is placed in a different division and will ride dressage under a different judge, in a different arena simultaneously with his/her team members. Team members will run cross country and show jump consecutively as well. Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge encourages stall decorations, matching fun team apparel and generates camaraderie.
Area III Young Riders selectors will select riders at Beginner Novice, Novice, Training and Preliminary levels to represent Area III at the Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge. Interested riders will be required to submit an Letter of Intent and meet requirements below to represent Area III.
Purpose: To promote camaraderie among Area III youth and to give junior/young riders the opportunity to represent Area III in a team atmosphere. The Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge can be used as a stepping stone for future NAJYRC competitors, and also as a competitive goal for individuals whose goals do not include competing at the upper levels of the sport.
- Letter of Intent submitted by July 20th, 2018
- Teams will be announced August 1st, 2018
- A minimum of 2 competitions at the level (or above) within the 2018 calendar year
- USEA member, USEA Area III Young Rider member. Horse USEA registered
- Performance history; Pairs with the most successful and consistent competition results
- Minimum of 3 Area III Young Rider approved volunteer hours
2018 Low Score Award Shows
Select Low score events we will hold a social for Young Riders. These events will be announced at a later date.
- March 2-4 Rocking Horse III H.T.
- May 5-6 Poplar Place Farm
- July 6-8 Chattahoochee Hills H.T.
- Sept 28-30 Stable View Oktoberfest H.T.
- Nov 10-11 Poplar Place Farm
Our programs are funded by your membership dues and fund-raising by the member. We are currently working on the items for 2018. Please look for an email with information regarding fundraising.
Young Riders Contacts
Allina Bell / Young Riders Coordinator / firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-332-5131
Katie Strickland / Young Riders Co-Coordinator / email@example.com or 540-454-7792
Mikki Johansen / Fundraising / firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-587-1353
Lisa Shurtz / Silent Auction / email@example.com